Sandy Spring Bank is pleased to announce it is donating $5,000 to 12 nonprofit organizations in the Greater Washington, D.C. region, for a total contribution of $60,000. Each of the following organizations will receive a $5,000 donation: Best Buddies Maryland, Comfort Cases, Friends of Guest House, Girls in the Game, Grassroots Crisis Intervention Center, The IIIB’s Foundation, Junior Achievement of Central Maryland, Luke’s Wings, N Street Village, the National Foundation for Cancer Research, the National Pancreas Foundation and Woman to Woman Mentoring.
These organizations were originally selected by Sandy Spring Bank employees at the beginning of 2020 for the bank’s Casual for a Cause program, a monthly initiative where employees were given the option to wear jeans to work one day in exchange for a charitable contribution. When the pandemic necessitated the need for many employees to work remotely, the bank paused its Casual for a Cause program and opted to directly donate to these organizations instead.
Each of these organizations embodies Sandy Spring Bank’s philanthropic focuses: affordable housing, health and wellness, and financial literacy and education. Especially this year, Sandy Spring Bank is proud to support these organizations that are doing critical work across the bank’s footprint and throughout the country:
- Best Buddies Maryland offers one-to-one friendship, integrated employment and leadership development programs for individuals with and without intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD) in Maryland.
- Comfort Cases inspires communities to bring dignity and hope to youth in foster care by providing them with backpacks filled with comfort and personal care items.
- Friends of Guest House helps women successfully reenter the community from incarceration and reunite with their families by providing structure, supervision, support and assistance.
- Girls in the Game helps girls find their voices, discover their strengths and lead with confidence through fun and active sports, health and leadership programs.
- Grassroots Crisis Intervention Center is a multi-service crisis intervention center providing 24-hour crisis intervention services, emergency and transitional shelter, and community education.
- The IIIB’s Foundation is dedicated to providing comfort to women recovering from breast cancer mastectomy surgery by providing Bosom Buddy Baskets filled with valuable resources and recovery items to ensure no woman faces breast cancer alone.
- Junior Achievement of Central Maryland is dedicated to giving young people the knowledge and skills they need to own their economic success, plan for their futures and make smart academic and economic choices.
- Luke’s Wings is dedicated to reuniting wounded, ill and injured service members with their loved ones by providing complimentary airfare during recovery and rehabilitation.
- N Street Village empowers homeless and low-income women in Washington, D.C. to claim their highest quality of life by offering a broad spectrum of services, housing and advocacy in an atmosphere of dignity and respect.
- The National Foundation for Cancer Research provides scientists in the lab the funding they need to make game-changing discoveries in cancer treatments, detection, prevention and ultimately, a cure.
- The National Pancreas Foundation provides hope for those suffering from pancreatitis and pancreatic cancer through funding cutting edge research, advocating for new and better therapies, and providing support and education for patients, caregivers and health care professionals.
- Woman to Woman Mentoring strives to strengthen, enrich and empower women by offering access to one-on-one mentoring relationships, group peer mentoring circles, social enterprise experiences and community connections.
Learn more about Sandy Spring Bank’s involvement in the community.