Federal regulations give consumer debit and ATM card users additional options when it comes to overdrafts. The Federal Reserve’s Regulation E, which enforces the Electronic Funds Transfer Act, ensures that banks, credit unions, and other financial institutions must offer clients the ability to make decisions about overdraft services for transactions made with debit or ATM cards. We offer two services:
Tips To Avoid Overdrawing Your Account
- Find out how much money you have in your account with Personal Online Banking. (Don’t forgot to subtract any transactions that aren’t listed in Online Banking as those might reduce your available balance.)
- Sign up for email alerts and stay on top of your transactions and balances. Get notified when you reach a low account balance, or any balance that you set.
- Need more funds in your account? You can make a transfer online or on the phone, so that you can make a purchase or ATM withdrawal.
- Balance your checkbook to track of all your deposits and withdrawals.
What fees will I be charged if Sandy Spring Bank pays my overdraft?
Under our standard overdraft services:
- We will charge you a fee of $29 each time we pay an overdraft.
- The maximum number of fees we will charge in one day is 3.
- When we determine the your account is overdrawn by a total amount less than $5 after we finish processing for that day, we will not charge Overdraft Item Fees.
What are the standard overdraft services that come with my account?
We do authorize and pay overdrafts* for the following types of transactions:
- Checks and other transactions made using your checking account number
- Automatic bill payment
We will not authorize and pay overdrafts for the following types of transactions unless you authorize us to:
- ATM transactions
- Everyday debit card transactions
If you want us to authorize and pay overdrafts on ATM and everyday debit card transactions, enroll now or call 800.399.5919.
* We pay overdrafts at our discretion, which means we do not guarantee that we will always authorize and pay any type of transaction. If we do not authorize and pay an overdraft, your transaction will be declined.